swift 728

rev7

Wednesday 5 March 2014

'No one loves you like your mother': Katie Holmes shares her thoughts on good parenting, feminism... and Dawson's Creek



She freely admits that times have drastically changed since her own childhood, much of which was spent on the western end of sprawling Lake Erie in her native Toledo. 
Now based in New York, where she lives with six-year-old daughter Suri, actress Katie Holmes tells the April edition of Elle UK that while times have changed, the fundamental principles of parenthood remain the same.
‘Children are exposed to so much more than we were, I suppose every generation goes through that feeling, “Oh my God, it’s so different from how I grew up,’’ she said.
Scroll down for video
Staunch supporter: Katie says she supports 'women and all experiences give you more insight into others, as well as yourself'
Staunch supporter: Katie says she supports 'women and all experiences give you more insight into others, as well as yourself'
‘I think the basics are very important: the number one thing is making sure my child feels loved. And good about herself. And that what she does and who she is, is special and important, and should be celebrated.’ ‘And my mum always said, ‘No one loves you like your mother.’’
Katie gave birth to Suri – the only child from her six-year-marriage to Tom Cruise – in April 2006, and she admits that motherhood has given her a newfound respect for women.
 
‘I think all of our experiences bring us to a greater understanding of ourselves and help us realise what is most important,’ she said. 'That being said, I have three older sisters and one older brother and I went to an all-girls school, and have always been a fan of women. 
‘I support women and all experiences give you more insight into others, as well as yourself.'
Proud mother: Katie Holmes concedes that times have changed since her own childhood, but the fundamental principles of parenthood have not

That insight started at a young age while growing up in Ohio as one of five children with parents Martin, an attorney, and homemaker Kathleen – who, along with her sisters, helped teach her the importance of first impressions.
‘I was pretty lucky… I’m the youngest of five with three older sisters, so when I was a little girl, I spent a lot of the time in the bathroom just watching them,’ she recalled.
‘I was intrigued by make-up and my mum was very frank with us and said, ‘There are natural beauties in the world, but make-up enhances.’’
But while she has a staunch admiration for women, she’s reluctant to label herself a feminist.
‘Ummm. I identify with women. I identify with people who work really hard,’ she said. ‘I think... I love strong women and I love strong men and I love being inspired by people who fight for what they believe in and work hard and are creative. And have integrity. I don’t think (the word feminism) is problematic.’
Katie’s acting career began with Dawson’s Creek, a wordy rites of passage serial based in the fictional seaside town of Capeside, Massachusetts.
The show enjoyed a successful five year run between 1998 and 2003, shortly before the technological boom radically changed the cultural landscape.
‘The world has changed so much since then,’ she said. ‘Social media, and what people are watching. But I think innocence was one of the draws of the show.
‘It was these kids going through first love and heartbreak and growing up and friendships changing. So I’m glad that the innocence still holds up.’
The full interview appears in the April issue of ELLE UK, on sale 6th March. Also available as a digital edition.
Side by side: Katie Holmes enjoys a day out with six-year-old daughter Suri - her only child from a six-year marriage to actor Tom Cruise - in New York City


Side by side: Katie Holmes enjoys a day out with six-year-old daughter Suri - her only child from a six-year marriage to actor Tom Cruise - in New York City

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger news