swift 728

rev7

Tuesday 8 April 2014

Controversial Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Vogue cover is set to outsell Beyonce's - and even the First Lady's


  • Anna WIntour was criticized for putting the couple on the cover, but it seems her decision has paid off
Despite outspoken critics, including Sarah Michelle Geller, who said they would cancel their Vogue subscriptions after Anna Wintour put Kim Kardashian and Kayne West on the cover, it seems the issue is flying off newsstands.
According to the New York Post, the controversial April issue is set to sell around 400,000 copies. Comparatively, Beyonce's cover sold more than 355,000 copies and Michelle Obama's cover sold nearly 300,000.
A Vogue spokesperson, however, said the magazine 'never comments on sales figures'.
Vogue's controversial April issue is set to sell around 400,000 copies. Comparatively, Beyonce's cover sold more than 355,000 copies and Michelle Obama's cover sold nearly 300,000

Vogue's controversial April issue is set to sell around 400,000 copies. Comparatively, Beyonce's cover sold more than 355,000 copies and Michelle Obama's cover sold nearly 300,000
  



The successful sales, so far, comes after weeks of critism from Vogue fans, including actress Sarah Michelle Gellar tweeted: 'Well……I guess I’m canceling my Vogue subscription. Who is with me???'
Her boycott was retweeted more than 8,000 times and favorited by more than 11,000 people.
Vogue’s Facebook page was also inundated with hundreds of disaproving messages.
'I’m done with Vogue. Subscription cancelled sick to death of Kanye and Kim used to be high fashion, your standards have been highly compromised!!!!!!' wrote one commenter.
 
Meanwhile, the message 'Anna Wintour…. it’s time to step down…' received more than 100 likes.
Vogue’s website also coped similarly angry notes.
'I have always purchased Vogue, ever since I was a teenager and I felt like I could always rely on Vogue to inspire me and educate on a number of levels,' wrote one woman.
'I don’t buy tabloids for a reason because I don’t look up to or find inspiration in people with no talent and even less morals. Wow, RIP Vogue. The last bastion of style has fallen today. I’ll miss you.'
Unable to suspend their disbelief, some fans suggested that the cover could be an April Fool’s joke, but the only one laughing now -- most probably with glee -- is Anna Wintour.
Clearly anticipating the controversy the cover would incite, Ms Wintour wrote in her Editor’s Letter: 'As for the cover, my opinion is that it is both charming and touching, and it was, I should add, entirely our idea to do it.
'You may have read that Kanye begged me to put his fiancee on Vogue‘s cover. He did nothing of the sort. The gossip might make better reading, but the simple fact of the matter is that it isn’t true,' she wrote.
But there are many people who are skeptical about the cover's success: 'Could Kimye be buying thousands of copies themselves?' they ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger news